Friday, June 26, 2009

Boot Camp... Check!

The worst of Chris' training finally ended! From January 5, 2009, all the way to March 26, 2009, Chris and I never saw each other and had very limited communication. However, on that glorious day of March 26, 2009, Chris graduated from Boot camp! Aubin and I flew to Missouri on the Wednesday before, stayed the night with one of my friends, rented a car, drove 4+ hours, got lost, checked in at our hotel after midnight, hardly slept, got up and got ready to see our graduate! I felt kind of silly with all the butterflies in my stomach, but I hadn't seen my husband for almost 4 months! The ceremony was great and included tear jerking videos of their hard work. Aubin held still long enough to hear Chris sound off and walk off the stage. I was very pleasantly surprised when, as Chris shouted his name for all to hear, Aubin looked up at me pointing to the stage and whispered "Dada." I bounced him with joy and shook my head, "yes, Dada." I kept trying to see if Chris could see me, or would make eye contact, but good soldier that he is, he kept his eyes ahead in front of him and didn't waiver.

Finally, towards the last part of the ceremony, Aubin could no longer contain himself and I had to walk out with him to the hallway. Finally, after what seemed like forever, we were able to head on our way to check Chris out for the next 8 hours. I kept wondering how I was going to be able to find him in that sea of green-suited soldiers? But as I walked towards the bay I saw a particular soldier with his eyes locked on mine and walking straight for us. Yep, it was him! There was supposed to be a rule of no public displays of affection. Apparently at this point Chris had had his fill of following rules! After we finished saying "hello", Chris bent down to see Aubin in his stroller. Aubin looked at him, half turned his head to the side, stuck up one eyebrow while fighting a smile... and then showed off his new pearly whites and lunged forward for Chris! Chris and I both started crying (sorry to rat you out honey, but it's the truth). I knew that Aubin would remember his beloved Daddy, and it was great to see the recognition in his face.

Needless to say, we had a surreal reunion. It seemed like the perfect day. And it was... It was more the night that was the problem. We had a great time playing, eating, talking, napping, and just hanging out together. It was then time to say goodnight. Aubin fell asleep in the back of the car during the drive back, so Chris just gently kissed him and hugged him goodbye. We said goodbye, as I balled my eyes out, and Chris walked away.

I felt that no sooner had my heart been returned to me, that it was brutally torn out and taken back. I know it sounds dramatic, but the pain honestly felt physical. I was SO sad. I tried to pull myself together in the car before waking Aubin up and walking through the hotel. Aubin woke up, looked around the car, and then jumped in my arms seeming almost determined to go inside. We walked through the hotel, up the elevator, and he stormed out into the hall towards our room door. When I opened the door, he dashed in, looked around, and then began to cry. It was awful. I felt like the biggest jerk. I knew he didn't understand. I finally was able to get Aubin to bed after much work, and fell asleep with tearful eyes myself. It really was such a dream-like day. The highest high followed by the lowest low. But perseverance is crucial, so I had my moment, fell asleep, and woke up determined to "just keep swimming!"

The drive back was considerably better than the drive down as it took place during the day. I only had one setback with my directions which only cost me 20 minutes as opposed to the 1.5 hour setback on the way down. We stayed with my friend, Janice, again and had a fun time. We even got to go see Liberty Jail, which I was really happy about.

So when all is said and done, it was a wonderful trip. I am so proud of Chris and his accomplishment. He always works so hard at whatever he does, and he has given everything to support and take care of his family. Thank you babe! You really are our HERO!!!!!

Here are some pictures of our soldier showing off his new duds and other fun shots of the trip: Warning- Some of the pictures are a little dark and blurry...it's not easy holding Aubin in one arm and taking pictures with a heavy camera in the other! I did my best!



Chris' Platoon's Commanding Officers (is that right? I don't know... some people who bossed him around and rode his tail through training)



Chris' Platoon. He's hard to see, but he's in there.



Aubin in Dada's arms for the first time since January!



The three of us.



Trying out Chris' shoes. They were big and shiny!



Crazy kid getting a bath. Doesn't his hair look like Edward Scissorhands'?



Chris Playing with the crazy kid!



Janice and Aubin.



Holding the happy kid who kept laughing during all of the "reverent" parts!



Liberty Jail. A very humbling experience.

3 comments:

Kristen Miner said...

That a beautiful story, and your respect for Chris is evident. Your love for him shines through the story. Thank you for sharing it. And Aubin in the tub is just the cutest.

Natasha Ireland said...

We know EXACTLY how that seperation feels.. you know that, and we ache FOR YOU but... you are strong and we are so proud of Chris. PLEASE TELL HIM CONGRATS from us. Does he have email? I'd love to shoot him a message. I miss you..we don't talk NEAR enough. Hugs and Kisses from all of us to you. When do we get to see you again? I wanna snuggle Aubin :)

Unknown said...

I know the soldier/wife/baby story is a simple story, and an old story, but darn, Becca, your telling of it made ME bawl! I am so proud of my brother and so extremely blessed that he had the good taste to marry you! (and of course it's no shocker that Aubin recognized his Dada). You have to frame the picture of Chris and Aubin's reunion...that's the one I'm blaming for the tears still streaming down my cheeks. I'm such a sap :). I love you all!