Friday, January 8, 2010

Reflections on 2009

My wonderful cousin, Michelle, did this post on her blog and I liked it a lot. So much so that I decided I would do the same thing on my blog. Feel free to copy and paste and do the same on your blog if you wish!



1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year? I got to see Chris at his bootcamp graduation after being seperated for nearly 3 months with hardly any communication. Bliss. Total, utter, complete bliss.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened? Dropping Chris off after just 8 hours of seeing each other at after his bootcamp graduation. It really felt like my heart had literally been torn out. It was harder than dropping him off when he left for training because at t point I knew what was coming nex.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year? Unexpected joy..... I guess I would say getting to go to Washington D.C. . I knew it was coming at some point, obviously, but before that I never would have guessed that in 2009 I would get to go there! Thanks Tammie and Clay ;)
4. What was an unexpected obstacle? Moving to Cali. I didn't expect all the obstacles we had to figure out!
5. Pick three words to describe 2009. Different, blessed, trying.
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you). Hard, adventure, new.
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, don't ask them!) Lets move on! To his credit, it was not the funnest, easiest year for him. I'm all for moving on too!
8. What were the best books you read this year? I read tons of cookbooks that were WONDERFUL, but they probably don't count... so in that case... "The Sidetracked Home Executives." Best book I've read in a long time, and so motivational. If you have trouble keeping up on things in your home, check it out!
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships? My husband, my son, and my parents. I really would have had one heck of a time if I didn't have such wonderful and understanding parents. They are the best!
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Oh jeez... What wasn't a big personal change from January to December??? Probably just not being able to have consistent and dependable communication with Chris... Let alone being able to hug him!
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally? I really was able to remember how strong I am and how capable I am. More often than not now-a-days I feel like a single mom. But that's okay, and I'm fully capable of handling things with or without help. Also, sometimes you just need to let yourself cry and move on!
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually? The Lord really taught us about faith this year. Faith in him, faith in ourselves, and faith in each other. I am very grateful for it.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically? I don't think I did much "growing" in that department. I did go a lot of new places this year though!
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others? I learned that sometimes I need to stop looking for the rock and BE the rock myself for others. Chris and I are closer and stronger than ever, and Aubin and I have a wonderfully close and trusting relationship. I have been the ONLY constant in his life the past year. I see the relationship we have because of that, and it makes me glad.
15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home? I was just happy to get mine back again and I LOVE makin' in the kitchen.
16. What was your most challenging area of home management? Pretty much everything outside of the kitchen! I hate laundry, I suck at keeping up on things, and my house always feels cluttered. I'm making baby steps though... I'll get there!
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year? too many hours on the computer… I need help!
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year? Spending time with family. All of it!
19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year? That I need to be patient and dilligent. All my hard work will pay off if I give it time!
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.
Sometimes you have to get past the look of things to find the good.