Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sibling Love... And Other Stuff

So I knew that Aubin would be a wonderful big brother. I figured that he, just like any other young sibling, would have his moments, but I knew that overall he would be kind, loving, and protective. Here are a few of the precious and funny stories of Aubin and Lilia's blossoming relationship. I never knew you could love two human beings so much. I would do anything for either of them and can't imagine my life without them! Enjoy :)

  • Thanksgiving night Chris and I decided to head over to my Sister In-Laws parent's house to visit and introduce everyone to Lilia. On the drive home, Lilia began crying. She cried, and cried, and cried. I tried to abet her with the pacifier, but it wasn't working. I looked back to find Aubin sitting with his hands over his ears. Then Chris and I heard him begin to say things. We couldn't make them out at first, but he quickly began speaking louder and we sat giggling to the voice of Aubin ordering his sister to "stop Crying. Stop Crying. Sit in time out!" Classic moment for sure. I can easily say that it made our day.
  • The other day I was in the kids room playing with Aubin while Lilia was laying in her crib and joyfully watching and listening as her mobile twirled and danced above her head. I watched as Aubin went over to her dresser and reached for the mobile remote control. I started to tell him to stop when I watched as he pressed the button in order to turn it back on for his baby sister. I hadn't even noticed it had turned off! My heart, of course, immediately melted. Such a sweet gesture. He definitely enjoys those little times he gets to take care of her a bit.
  • Again Lilia was in her crib with her mobile on. It's kind of one of her favorite things. I heard the music stop, and just then Aubin exclaims "uh-oh!" He runs over and turns the mobile back on for her. This time I knew what he was doing, so I didn't bother badgering him. Aubin then ran over beside the crib, stepped up so he could see Lilia and started speaking to her. This is what came out of my cute little boys mouth: "Hi sweet girl. You seep goop baby sisser? You seep goop?" Translation: "Hi sweet girl. You sleep good baby sister? You sleep good?" I think I died a little. I can't believe how much Aubin is starting to say, and I can't describe the joy it (usually, almost always) gives me. You know, as long as it's not "hey! I'm talkin' you." I have no idea where he got that one ;)
  • We were all four of us sitting on the couch. I was holding Lilia and talking to her and she was smiling away. Aubin was next to me and completely enthralled in whatever was on the TV. Most likely "Wallace & Gromit." I noticed Lilia just staring at Aubin with the biggest smile on her face and twinkle of wonder in her eye. It was so sweet. I finally was able to get Aubin to notice his baby sister looking at him, and once he did he quickly asked "hold baby sisser? I need hold baby sisser." Are they not the cutest!? Okay, sorry. I just had to share.
There are many more moments like the above, but I know you all don't care as much as I do about that, so I'll limit it to what's above. On other notes, we've been busy! It's that weird kind of busy where you feel like you should have all the time in the world, yet every night you stand there wondering "where the heck did the day go?"

Chris has been busy with school. He is taking online classes this year and enjoying the flexibility that offers. When he's not doing that he's either at Drill (boo!), volunteering for military funerals, at the gym, or playing x-box. Most likely he's playing x-box. It's a good thing I love that man!

Our two kids keep me running in circles, but I love every minute of it. Mostly. Except for when they whine/cry. Scratch that, mostly when Aubin whines/cries. I hate to say it, but it's true. Lilia has the most pathetic whimper of a cry that provokes nothing but pity from all who hear it. Aubin on the other hand, unfortunately, makes you want to throw him in a room and slam the door. Poor little guy. It's pretty much been like that since he was a babe. It's not his fault, but it is the ugly truth. At any rate, they keep me more than adequately busy. However, mom must have something besides kidlets too. So when I'm not chasing them around and being every one's personal waitress (sometimes it seems like all anyone ever wants in this house is food!), I'm enjoying the gym and my photography class. I would totally be a gym rat if I could. I don't look like that, I know, but it's so true. When I'm at the gym I could stay for hours lifting, doing cardio, stretching, and listening to my tunes. I freaking love it. I wish I had more time to spend there. I'm also LOVING my photography class. I found a 4 week course online specifically written for learning the ins and outs of my camera. Hot dog it's fun! It's the perfect excuse to devote real time taking pictures (my passion!) and I get to learn and try new things in the process. Nothing bad can come of this. Love. that's all I have to say.

The kids are doing great. Aubin, as I mentioned before, is spouting words and phrases like a fountain. I swear that kid keeps cards up his sleeves, so to speak, like I've never seen. I got him up from bed one morning and as I was lowering him down I heard him say "oh my goodness" in my ear. Random. Then when I was cutting him an apple for lunch he exclaimed "that's for me!" It may not seem like much to some of you, but Aubin took his own time with speech. And while i knew he would catch up when he wanted to, it's still an experience to see it happen. And SO FAST! His Grandma and Grandpa can't believe it either! It's so fun for Chris and I to finally have a little peek as to what all is going on in that cute head of his. Along with his speech, he has become extremely imaginative. We love listening to him play with his toys and make believe little scenes. Aubin also loves to watch movies. He definitely has his favorites, and it's super fun to watch them with him because he knows so many of the lines. He's so stinkin' cute and just loves to share and show you what's going on in the movie. I love listening to him say "oh no! What happen?" or "Nook! Is 'at Buzz?" It doesn't get much cuter! Lilia remains ever sweet and mild. She is a tiny little thing and we love her to pieces. I don't think you could get two more opposite kids than Lilia and Aubin. They seem to differ in almost every way. They do look a lot alike though, and that's just delightful to me. I love that you can readily tell they are siblings. I think it must stem back to the fact that out of four kids, I was the only one without red hair and the only girl. My brothers were clearly all brothers, but I didn't seem to fit. So I love that so far my kids fit. Speaking of red hair, Lilia still has clearly Auburn hair. It hasn't fallen out yet. Not sure if it will. Even if it doesn't, there is an awful lot of red on that girls head. It tickles me silly! I honestly think God was throwing me a bone. I've always wanted a red-headed little girl and you can say what you want, but I think Heavenly Father was giving Lilia a little extra something to go along with that crazy little heart of hers. Doesn't matter, but I just think it's funny.

Developmentally, Lilia is more relaxed than Aubin was. She's not really trying to do much of anything yet. She's completely content to be held, swung, and left to laze about on a blanket. She does, however, like to see what's going on, and we've seen her make more of an effort to sit up. Oh, and she's a smiling fiend! Both my kids have that big McCarter smile and it's irresistible! The past couple of weeks she's added a cute little half giggle- half gasp thing and her daddy can hardly stand it. She's ridiculously cute. And no, I'm not biased. She's actually a pretty darn good sleeper (barring any illness that prevents her from breathing). And I appreciate that! We can already tell she is very smart. She just seems to follow things and know what's up, and we suspect that she will actually be an early talker. I think that's pretty usual with 2nd kids though. Oh, and now that she's just under 5 months old, she's just barely over half of what her brother weighed when she was that age. It's so hard for me to wrap my head around! Aubin was so big and I just figured all of our kids would be that way. I never thought I would have a 5 month old that is still wearing 0-3 month clothing. Never mind life, it's kids that are like a box of chocolates: "You never know what you're gonna get."

As a family, we're pretty much done with this whole Winter thing. Living back in the west coast the past two years had officially undone any acclamation I had to Utah before. I'm finding the long Winter exhausting and annoying, and I'm also dreading the relentless dry heat to come. I need my green, lush, moderate climate back. Until then, we're all stuck here. We have taken advantage of every nice day we could. We've taken the kids on 3 hikes so far. Not big of course. Especially since the higher up you go, the more snow you run in to (into?). Chris and I love it though, and it's a great way for Aubin to exert his un-ending energy and curiosity. Lilia is super visual, so she loves looking at all that nature has to offer. Fun days ahead once this snow decides to hibernate!


Here's a little slide show of a few things we've done the past couple of months, but I haven't blogged about!


1 comment:

Ashley said...

Hooray for an update! I've been wondering what you and your kiddos have been getting yourselves up to. :)