First there was the blessing... Aubin was going to be blessed on the first weekend in March, but due to some famly complications we ended up postponing it. However, since Mike had the time off already,he decided to come down and visit anyways. We had lot's of fun and spent the time mostly just hanging out at home, but we did go for a shopping day at the mall and a walk up provo canyon. This was really the first time I had been out of the house for any extended period of time and I'm not gonna say it was easy. Mike kept asking if I was okay, and I was like "this is like the first time I've really been out walking since my c-section, so yeah I'm fine, it's just not easy!". Poor Mike, I think he was the recipient of a little of my stress since I was going back to work just days after he came to visit.... but I hope he had a good time because it was a fun visit for us. And Aubin especially liked having a new face and voice around. Here are some pictures of the visit:
Aubin and Unce Mike passed out on the couch...shhh
Uncle Mike isn't so sleepy I guess!
Getting ready to head out. Isn't that hat so cute! (Thanks Aunt Sara!)
A Picture from our walk up Provo Canyon
Next came Aubin's blessing finally on April 13th. It was the first time his Papa got to see him, so I decided to bring Aubin into the airport with me, while Chris waited in the car, and sneek up on Nana and Papa. They took FOREVER to get down to baggage, so I finally took a seat next to a window and waited. They finally appeared out of an elevator and were walking in my direction, so I just casually turned Aubin and myself towards the window so that they wouldn't see us. They got to the luggage carousel, and I came up behind my Dad and said "geez you guys are slow!". It was so great! Dad immediately dropped all of his bags and things he was holding and grabbed Aubin from me. He had to beat Mom to it, or trust me she would have had him in a second! I apologized to the guy pushing my dad's wheelchair because he sort of got shoved out of the way... he was very kind and said he completely understands.
It was really great to have Jason, Sara, and Magnus down with us and the rest of the family... we hadn't seen Magnus for like 8 months and it was crazy how much he had grown! He is such a cutie and we were so excited for Magnus and Aubin to meet! If Aubin keeps it up, we're gonna have two huge little boys (I guess that's kind of an oxy moron) in our family! Anyways, the actual blessing was beautiful. Sara and Mom got Aubin just the cutest little blessing suit, and Aubin was actually quiet during the blessing so we could hear what Chris was saying. I was so relieved! I was so proud of my two guys, and it was a wonderful experience to see my son blessed by my husband and the wonderful men in my family. Thank you all. It was so nice to share the day with my friends (so glad you came Natasha, James, Jess, and Bubba!) and family. I have attached what pictures I have (Mom actually took most of the pictures, and her camera was stolen, so if anyone has pictures of the big day please pass them on to me!)
Doesn't he look so cute!
This is Aubin's pensive look... he's contemplating the meaning of what he's about to do... not really, he was probably looking at one of the toys we were dangling in front of him!
The whole gang, minus Tamralyn (who is taking the picture), and Cassidy, who had to leave to go to singles ward
Papa holding Aubin after his bath
Aubin getting to know Papa better.... Why Papa, what a shiny head you have!
Two Peas in a Pod
Since the blessing, Aubin has just kept growing and developing. Pretty soon after his blessing he started to turn over from his back to his belly, and eventually started rolling around. Because he was growing so fast, and he was basically pulling our spoons out of our hands, we decided to start Aubin on solid foods when he turned 4 months. He had been having juice with rice cereal for a month already because of some of his digestion struggles, so I started him on peas first. I spoke about it with my Mom first and she said that "it should be interesting to see how he reacts, because it's been my experience that most kids don't like peas much" to which I replied "yes, but even still we have yet to find something that Aubin won't eat!!!" She conceded, and sure enough Aubin didn't seem to be necessarily thrilled while eating peas, but he did eat a half a jar! Now he eats 2 and 1/2, and then 4-6 oz of furmula! The kid can eat!
Ready for food in his Bumbo seat. Thanks Grandma and Aunt Elyn!
Since then he has been eating up a storm! He just loves food and the solids have really helped to fill his tummy better. He goes through almost two cans of formula a week on top of the solids... so we're glad that he's starting to eat more solids! We have been lucky to be surrounded by so many friends and family who love Aubin so much and one of his surrogate grandma's (Maryanne) let us borrow the walker they had. Aubin loves it! We didn't really put him in it a lot at first because we didn't want him to get lazy and tired of trying to crawl and be in the floor. Even still though, on the third day of us having it he figured out how to walk forward. I was amazed when I came home on Friday from work and Aubin started lunging towards me in the kitchen! I was so proud of my little bug and couldn't believe how fast he was learning! Now he just zooms around all over the kitchen. Rhodri still likes to keep his distance, and it's hilarious when he forgets about Aubin sometimes, and Aubin just plunges into him in his walker. So funny. His uncle Ian and Aunt Monica also bought him a Johnny Jumper (one that goes in the doorway), and he is just so funny in it! We call him little Twinkle Toes. He always loved to jump anyways. When he was just weeks old I would hold him when he couldn't sleep and I would shoot him up in the air when he would straighten out his legs. Not much has changed, except he does it on his own now. Watching him jump in the doorway provides loads of entertainment. The first time we put him in, Ian laughed so hard Monica and I could hardly breathe from laughing at Ian's reaction! Now he jumps even higher, and when he's in the air he loves to swish his feet back and forth. Hence Twinkle Toes. He's the best!
The next little notch on our timeline was me quitting work. It was a very bittersweet ordeal, but I know that it was the right thing. I'm so happy to be able to be home with my baby and learn and grow with him. I truly feel blessed to be a mom and feel like I am now able to fulfill my calling in life. One thing that I started to do right before I quit work was make Aubin's food. I love it! I was really upset that I was never really able to keep up with Aubin with breastfeeding, and then eventually couldn't breastfeed at all anymore, so making his solid foods kind of fills that void for me. Plus, I just know that it's so much more beneficial for him and tastes so much better. Since I have begun, Aubin has enjoyed peas, carrots, pears, apples, peaches, prunes, sweet potatoes, avocado, bananas, plums, mango, squash, and the list will just keep growing! It's so nice to have food on hand all the time and have such variety for him. He really seems to be enjoying it and I do too! I love being home and being able to focus on making our home a sanctuary. If I could just figure out how to stay on top of the laundry, things would be perfect! I know, when does perfect happen!?
Since I have been home it has also given us a lot more family time. Chris and I used to have two nights a week together with Aubin, and then just Saturday. Now we have every night together in addition to Thursday and every other Wednesday. It's been really nice to spend time doing things as a family. Since Chris works on Sunday's, he decided to celebrate Mother's day the Saturday before. I actually didn't think that we were going to do anything, and he surprised me by saying "let's go to Cabela's". For those of you who don't know, Cabela's is a huge outdoors store. When we first got there, we walked Aubin through the underwater fish tank. It was so much fun to watch him. He was completely mesmorized by the fish everywhere. He wasn't as impressed with the stuffed African plane scene, but then again neither was I! They don't move! We looked all over the store, and we were in the shoe section (of course!) and Chris said "I think you worked REALLY hard this year to get our son here, so I think you deserve a BIG mother's day present." Naturally, I liked the sound of that, and he proceeded to tell me that I could pick anything out that I want under a certain dollar figure...and it wasn't little. I was just having fun being there and looking around, so the present was just a plus. After looking around the store I decided to get some new hiking shoes since we are planning on going hiking a lot this summer. We got Chris a pair, while we were at it, for Father's day. We were both so excited about our new shoes, it was a little rediculous. I especially loved mine because you can go in and out of the water in them, and I love to walk in the water on hikes! We started hiking the next weekend, and we've done at least one hike a week ever since! So much fun (well, for the most part... I am a little out of shape so that can put a damper on things).
Rhodri's lovely tongue, and my not so lovely moment
Beautiful trees. We'll probably put this picture up in our house somewhere. So peaceful.
The huge Aubinator and his daddy (we had to get a hiking baby pack, cuz this wasn't going to work!)
4 comments:
Thank you for that HUGE update. I needed it. I was feeling LUKE LOST :) haha I'm so funny .love you. PS> I wanna go walking up the canyone w/ you guys w/ Tay. I don't have great shoes but...I can' make due.
Hey, sounds like a date! I can't wait for you guys to get back. We have to play lots in the fall when Chris is at school (Is James going to school this semester?). But not so much that you're too tired to go to class yourself (pretty sure Cassandra would give me a talking to!), anyways...we'll talk soon!
Did you see the picture of Spence and Aubin on my blog? If not, you should check it out. They're too cute! You have to scroll down a bit ... it's on an older posting about our Utah trip. Guess I'll be making another one of those soon! See you in a couple weeks!!
I was so excited to get an update!!! Oh man.. Aubin is so freakin cute.. and he's growing so fast! Bring him into the restrnt.. I want to meet the kid! haha:) well.. I need your address.. You're gonna get an invite to my wedding in Nov! Yup.. it's a miracle.. i'm getting married! ha:) Well.. talk to ya soon!
Post a Comment