Thursday, January 15, 2009

Don't Worry About A Thing, 'Cause Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright

We are all safe! Aubin and I arrived with my Dad in Washington Friday (1/09/09... yes, Aubin's Birthday) night safe and sound. We were really quite worried about this trip seeing as how Monday a storm began, and it snowed literally all day Tuesday. The snow at our house was past my knee! Then we found out the pass up to Washington from Idaho was closed. But we decided to leave Wednesday (1/07) and try to make it at least as far as Boise, and then figure out what to do next. Luckily, Wednesday the roads and skies were clear as a whistle. Joy. That's all I have to say. I cannot describe the anxiety I felt waiting to leave our little house, without Chris. I just wanted to get out of there. Blah.

We made it easily, and in good time, to Boise and had dinner with my dad's family there. But the interstate was still closed as there had been several avalanches in Snoqualmie pass (the pass near my house in WA), and there was no word on when it would be open. So we kept still Thursday and waited for a new forecast. Friday we woke up, checked the webcams of the pass, and it looked pretty good. Word was that I-90 would be open around noon. So we packed up, said our thank you's and good-bye's, and hit the road. Sure enough, the sun was out, there was not a cloud in the sky, and the roads were dry.

We intended to take a stop at my cousin's house along the way, but for whatever reason, dad and I didn't see the exit. So we went way to far down to turn around and drove through the beutiful Washington forest until we connected to the right interstate. It wasn't a bad detour. Sad to miss my cousin, but hopefully we'll be able tosee her again some other time soon.

So on we drove, and we actually got home around 7pm. Which was really great, especially considering that we had to drive very carefull through the pass. Turns out that they only opened one direction of traffic, and it turned out to be ours. How lucky is that? Mom was very happy and relieved to have us all there safe and sound. And since poor Aubin had to spend his birthday strapped in a car seat, we took him out to eat. He didn't mind that at all. He got a balloon at the restaurant and everything!

I have to say, at first it really just felt like we were going on vacation without Chris. Little by little, though, it's been sinking in that he is not here. I can't call him. I don't have his address or a way to get it. It's hard. I'm grateful for my parents and the distractions they have created to keep me preoccupied. Even "re-decorating" the blog almost made me burst into tears because they had all these Valentine's Day backgrounds, and I remembered I won't see him or even be able to speak to him. Hard. But we both know this is the right thing. It's hard now, but we are both very confident that it will pay off later.

For those of you wondering, I have heard from Chris. He was able to call last week, and I got to speak to him for a full 2 minutes. Aubin was asleep unfortunately, so he didn't get to hear his voice. Hopefully next time, whenever that is. Chris is working hard, I am sure. As soon as I get his address, I will post it so that those of you wanting to write him can. Do not send any packages though, only letters. He'll get in trouble if he gets anything else.

Well, we love you all, and I will post gobs of pictures soon. Till next time!

No comments: