This just in. After singing the alphabet at least 15 times on Wednesday, Nov. 4, Aubin decides to join in. During a brief pause, Aubin exclaims "w". Completely clear and unmistakable. Then he points to the letter on his alphabet book, and repeats "w." Chris and I both froze and sat staring at him. As soon as we came to our senses we applauded him and encouraged him. But he was done. He said what he had to say, and was ready to move on. What an experience though! We have known for quite some time that Aubin is fully capable of saying pretty much whatever he wants, but he just hasn't wanted to say much yet. He is absolutely obsessed with letters and the alphabet. He has since repeated the letter many times and continues to sing the alphabet along with me. Or at least parts of it!
Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, and the other gold.
Buried treasure. Aubin has several bins in his room to hold all the gobs of toys he has accumulated in his almost 2 years (say it ain't so!) of life. They may be meant for toys, but one of his favorite things to do in them is hide. He dumps out all of the contents, climbs in, and masterfully folds and bends his body so the bin can be fully closed. When he hears "where's Aubin?" He gleefully bursts out of the bin. It's pretty much one of our favorite things. He's kinda awesome.
Hold on, I think I hear a nutcracker dancin' this a-way! Probably one of my favorite moments with Aubin, ever, occurred a couple of weeks ago while I was trying to keep Aubin occupied. He was starting to get tired, but I had to finish doing something before I could put him to bed. I decided to put The Nutcracker ballet on since he loves to watch dancing, and especially ballet. That definitely did the trick, and I was able to finish what I needed to. I looked up and saw Aubin holding on to the entertainment center and sticking his leg up in the air. It took me a while before I figured out that he was trying to dance like the ballet dancers! He kept lifting his leg up and down and swinging it. It was so stinkin' cute and funny. I was laughing so hard, and so sad that I had nothing to capture it on tape with! But then it got even better. All of a sudden he began to squat down and thrust his chest out and up. He was trying to jump around like they did too! Complete with arm movements. Oh, I think I died a little watching that cute boy. Ever since then, he has been determined to figure out how to jump. So fun.
From black eye to black mouth! On Monday night (Nov. 9), I was chatting with a long lost friend on the computer focused completely on my own thoughts when I heard Chris exclaim "what the?" I immediately looked up because I could tell that whatever it was he was inquiring about was not good. My eyes finally found Aubin...looking at me...with a black mouth...and a marker sticking out of it! I immediately grabbed the marker from him, and Chris swiped Aubin up and into the bathroom. Luckily it was a non-toxic marker. I couldn't help but laugh. Aubin looked so funny, and Chris was so upset. It just made me laugh! Chris tried to wash Aubin's mouth off, and out, but wasn't having much success. I quickly snapped these shots before taking the boy to have a bath. Fun times!
Veteran's Day. Not only an important day of reverence, but also an important day to spend with family and our #1 soldier. We were going to take Aubin to the children's museum, but they are closed every Wednesday, so we decided to take him to climb on the rocks at Lover's Point instead. Aubin is a monkey. Quite literally! Here are some pics:
We were able to take Aubin to the museum on Thursday, and had tons of fun. It's times like those that I realize I live with more than one kid ;)
Amen! Aubin's new favorite way to get food. I've never taught Aubin how to pray. I figured he would just pick it up eventually and figure it out himself, and he has! Chris and I have been so impressed with how good he has become during prayers to be quiet and attentive. He folds his arms, and even sometimes bows his head and closes his eyes. But usually he folds his arms and watches us. He apparently caught the pattern of praying before eating, and when I was in the kitchen the other night I looked over to see Aubin standing with his arms folded. I usually have the gate up in the entry to the kitchen so that Aubin can't come in, and so he was just standing on the other side... Waiting. I asked him what he wanted, and he pointed to the fridge and quickly folded his arms and bowed his head. Chris and I burst into laughter, and then quickly helped Aubin say prayer before handing him a cheese stick. The things kids think of. I have to say though, it's so far the nicest way he's ever asked for food.
ABCDEFG... Aubin's singing constantly! When I said he's obsessed with the alphabet, I wasn't kidding. His alphabet book is now his favorite book, and the only reading he wants at night. He points to letters and we tell him what they are, and then we sing, and then more pointing and telling. I am very glad that he is so interested. And while I sing the alphabet I usually point to the letters as I sing them. Aubin now does this as well, only in random order.
I...love...you! Monday (Nov. 15) Chris, Aubin, and I were in the family room playing... and I thought I would try something out. He's been mimicking so much lately, so I thought I would see if he would repeat "I love you". We just went one word at a time, but he repeated each word very clearly! My favorite was "you" because it came out "ye-ooo!" We just love his sweet little voice.
I think Aubin has decided that he is a bouncy ball! He loves to scale up the boxes he has set next to the couch, then jump off onto the couch, and roll down to the ground. Lately he's really been enjoying bringing the step stool out to the front room, setting it a foot or two away from the couch, and leaping forward onto the couch. He sits on the back of the couch, the armrests, crawls behind the couch. He climbs up onto the dining room chairs, then onto the table... basically if there is something he can climb on or jump off of, he's there. He goes up and down the stairs by himself at least 20 times a day, and even slides down every once in a while. The other day he even decided to leap down to me from 4 stairs up. Very scary. He's extremely trusting of Chris and I, which is good until you take heights into account.
Snuggle, love bug. Aubin is slowly becoming a little snuggler. There has been several times when as we sat on the couch eating or some other thing, he looks at me, leans in, puts his arm around me and rests his head on mine. It's not uncommon for him to grab your face and kiss you either. Irresistable!
Clothes on, clothes off, clothes on, clothes off! Aubin is driving me nuts! He is constantly taking off his clothes, and more specifically his pajamas! When he takes off his clothes during the day, it's a little frustrating, but not really a huge deal. At night, however, it's very frustrating. We haven't turned on our heater yet, and are trying to avoid it as long as possible. Even though we are in California, it's still pretty cold in the house. At night it's often at 60 degrees or below, and he insists that no other blaket be touching his beloved blankie. In an attempt to make sure he still stays warm, I usually put socks and a onesie on under his fleece footie pajamas. He takes everything off though, and then can't get everything back on by himself. This often means I have to go re-dress him. Even if he is already asleep. The other night I walked in to find every last article of clothing off (luckily not his diaper), and Aubin fast asleep tucked in tightly under a blanket. I was amazed at how tightly he wrapped his blanket around himself, but since he was already asleep, I just left him the way he was and placed two more blankets over him. He actually didn't wake up once during the night! But that's not usually the case, so I look forward to when he completes his fascination with his clothes and leaves them on!
1 comment:
Aubin has so much personality and is so cute! What a fun little boy! And you and Chris sound like such wonderful parents. You sure have been up to some fun things. I love the rock climbing and the museum. And the birds! How funny! We have a picture of Ben with a blue mouth like Aubin's black one from biting the tip off a pen when he was two. Don't these little guys keep us on our toes?!
Post a Comment